Tokyo Technology


I'm in Tokyo where I will be reporting on technical innovations. In this gadget-rich city that consumes technology for breakfast, it will be tough to choose from its IT menu because it pervades all levels of daily life: the cell phones that do everything, the micro-laptops, robots, digital rice makers, and even the wireless heated toilet seats. Some practical, some just plain ridiculous. When wandering through its winding neon-rich streets, one half expects to walk into sci-fi teleportation portal that sends you across this mega metropolis of 12 million people packed in an area 6 times the size of Chicago. Currently, I sit reporting from a private wireless library on the 49th floor of a building in Roppongi Hills. Looking out the floor-to-ceiling window I see the city before me - a labyrinth of winding streets, hidden coves, subway routes, and millions of invisible wireless waves connecting everyone 24 hours a day. Time to dive in.

No comments: